Monday, September 16, 2013

Support your local quilt shows!

This weekend one of our neighboring cities had a Quilt show at one of their town celebration days.  I found the flyer at my LQS and decided to attend.  The flyer said to bring any quilts you'd like to enter, and see what everyone else is making.  What a great way to get involved and check out my new area right?  Yes.

First of all we got lost.  The address listed on the flyer was wrong...said North instead of South.  I am NOT familiar with this area whatsoever since we moved here a few short months ago.  So, I'm driving around in an older part of town, where the address should be, and it's all houses.  Nothing looked like a recreation center. Thank goodness for Google!  I found it and thankfully they let me still enter in my quilts even tho I was late. ;)

Now, this seemed to be a quilt show of the 'older' variety.  More traditional styles.  You can always get inspiration from older, traditional quilts right?



This one was my favorite - with all the different type blocks and look at those flying geese.  They were ITTY BITTY!!  They were sooo small, they gave me anxiety just thinking about trying to make them all perfect points. But so pretty and great work, the quilting too was amazing!

Halloween quilt, with cute applique
 
Ahh, love me some vintage sewing machines!

Pardon the pictures - I didn't get a lot of good ones because I was the only one in there at the moment and I felt weird. ;)  I need to get over that.

So, without further delay, I entered in my Giant Vintage Star,  Let's Pretend and Ginorma-Churn.   I just grabbed my favorites and went on my way.  This section of the show, was obviously mine, dedicated to more modern styles... ;)


And guess what??  My Giant Star quilt won for 'Best use of color'!!  Woohoo!  I had no plans on winning anything, I just went to support the quilt show and see what was going on.  BONUS!  I was super excited. Not only did I win a pretty ribbon, but I won a gift certificate to my LQS!  Yay for more fabric!

Pretty ribbon

Yay!
So, the moral of this post is, support your local quilt show!  You never know what might happen!

Have any of you entered anything into a small town quilt show?  If so, what awesome things did you see and/or win??



5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your ribbon and gift card! It looks like it was well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW this is awesome! I have never entered a quilt show. In fact I've never even been to a quilt show :0 I really should try to find out if there are any around here and go to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Congratulations on your win. What a fun surprise and a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow congratulations that's wonderful news! Your quilt is super gorgeous, I'm not surprised. I'm loving your new look blog by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your win. Your quilt is beautiful and really pops.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! I reply via email, not in the blog post. If you are looking for a response to anything, let me know! Thank you for stopping by!